Is It Better to Take a Shower or a Bath?
As we all know, baths can make us feel calm and relaxed, but showers are usually quick and refreshing. Have you ever wondered if one is better than the other? Below, we will compare baths and showers to help you find out which is better for your health.
What is a Bath
When you take a bath, it basically means that you wash yourself by immersing in stationary water in a bathtub. Years back, people used to bathe in seas, lakes, rivers etc. With the evolution of time, they created public baths. However, concerns about privacy and hygiene lead them to invent bathtubs. In the past, bathtubs were originally made out of wood. However, the bathtubs we use today are made of different materials like porcelain, ceramic, or marble.
What is a Shower
With the advancement of indoor plumbing, the concept of the shower was introduced. The shower is basically an apparatus that sprays water from a sprout. You can wash under a shower as the water continuously flows out. The water draining off out of a shower usually looks like light rain falling out.
Benefits of taking a bath
- Helps treat skin condition. A bath is a great way to coat your skin. Oat baths are particularly popular for those with eczema, but this is not the only skin treatment available.
- Relaxation and stress-relief are some of the great benefits of bathing. As you feel the water float around you, especially when it’s at the right temperature, it might seem your worries are floating away too.
- Baths can improve sleep. Taking a bath in the evening before bed not only helps you relax but also helps your body regulate its temperature. But this may not apply to everyone, some people find themselves more awake after a bath.
- Good for muscle and joint protection and relief. You’ve probably heard of the benefits of an ice bath for sore muscles. But a warm bath may help you relief your body.
- Helps regulate blood pressure. Warm water improves circulation in the body by opening up the blood vessels, allowing it to flow more freely. In turn this can lead to lower blood pressure. However, conclusive medical evidence of this is yet to be fully proven.
- May improve breathing. Filling a bathtub up to neck level can help increase lung capacity as you submerge yourself in the water.
- Reduce hemorrhoid pain. If you’ve ever had hemorrhoids, you know how painful they can be. A warm bath can help reduce the pressure of the hemorrhoids and reduce inflammation. You can also add Epsom salts for extra relief.
- Might not be cleaned thoroughly.In the shower, the dirt on your body is washed away and goes down to the drain directly . However, in a bath, you could be soaking in them, that is why you should never drink bath water. One solution might be to take a quick rinse in the shower before your bath to keep things as clean as possible.
- The bath can affect the body's pH levels.The pH balance of the body is important, especially for women. If you use bath salts, bath bombs, soaps or other in your tub, you might find yourself more prone to yeast infections or other vaginal irritation. This can also occur if you bath too often (both bath and shower) so take care and consult a doctor for any itching or discomfort.
- May strip the body of natural oils.We all know that natural oils can protect our skin. As you soak, the natural oils can come away from the body and this isn’t good for your skin and its protection.
- Installing a bathtub in your bathroom would require lots of space for it to fit in. People living in apartments generally do not have huge bathrooms. Therefore, it can be a little difficult for them to install a fully functional bathtub.However a shower is a quick way to rinse your body, which is why it is the most opted method of bathing in our fast-paced world.
- Improve circulation and eases stress. Showers can improve circulation because the running water causes blood to rush to the skin’s surface.
- Treat aching muscles and eliminate headaches. Warm showers ease headaches, ease tense muscles, and lessen anxiety.
- Rub the skin while the water drips. By using water pressure to gently massage your body, you may unwind and reduce tension.
- Excellent for body cleansing. Showers are great because they gently cleanse the skin, eliminating germs and debris while leaving behind the natural skin oils.
- Faster than a bath. A shower might be the best option if you have little hot water or need to wash yourself quickly.
- Showers also allow water to efficiently mix with soap on your body to break apart sweat, dirt, and oil on your skin. Even cold showers have some potential benefits, too.
- Taking a shower usually involves standing. If you have a health condition that makes you not too steady on your feet this could be dangerous. Meanwhile, if you want to use that shower for stress-relief, standing makes it difficult for you to fully relax.
- Relies on water pressure. How good your shower is depends on the amount of water pressure in your house. If the water pressure is too low, you might find your shower less desirable and more like a trickle of water, not very helpful for cleaning either.
- One cons of taking a shower is that you often create a stream-room situation in your bathroom. This can be a plus for skin health, but if you have certain medical conditions, it can be an issue for your health. It’s better to open a little window when taking a shower.
Note: If you have dry, itchy, or sensitive skin conditions, do not shower for more than five minutes a day. Avoid hot water and follow up with a rich moisturizer immediately to prevent any damage. Also, avoid touching shower curtains while bathing as it can transfer the germs and bacteria to your skin.
Shower System Recommendations
For people who prefer taking a shower and wants to enjoy the ultimate shower, there are some shower system recommendations.
- 【Blending Modern and Traditional Design】Smooth lines and classic shaping make up the Bostingner thermostatic shower system round 12 Inch brushed gold, complements a modern or traditional design and boasts luxurious, spa-like features. Pampers you with thermostatic technology that keeps water at a comfortable temperature each time you shower regardless of changes in water pressure. The best choice for your family.
- 【Intuitive Operating Concept with a Button】This stunning shower head system lets you choose between a handheld shower, massage body spray jets and a rainfall showerhead with just one click or enjoy all of it at the same time. The safety lock can fix the water temperature at 38 degree (100°F) to prevent scald.
- 【More Comfort with Less Water】Ultra-thin, minimalist full body rainfall shower system with Air-in technology, require up to 30% less water than conventional products – without any loss of comfort. The flexible handheld shower allows you to take care of every inch of the body and bathes your children and pets with great convenience. Upgraded 2" spa body jets for a rejuvenating hydrotherapy experience.
- 【Professional Installation Guidance】Detailed instructions and all Pieces are included in the package, your plumber can install this modern shower fixtures with body spray jets easily according to the instructions. UNIVERSAL 1/2" connectors compatible with all homes in the USA and Canada.
- 【Package Include】Bostingner thermostatic shower system round 12 Inch brushed gold include 12-inch round rain shower head (304 stainless steel), handheld shower head (brass), 2-inch massage body jets (brass), 16-inch rain shower arm (brass), handheld shower holder (Brass), 60-inch shower hose (304 stainless steel), thermostatic shower valve (brass) and trim kit.
- 【USE ALL FUNCTIONS AT ONE TIME & WATER FLOW ADJUSTABLE】 -This stunning shower head system lets you choose between a handheld shower, massage body spray jets and a rainfall showerhead with just one turn on or enjoy all of it AT THE SAME TIME. The water flow of each showerhead can be adjusted to a comfortable status that fit you.
- 【THERMOSTATIC 38°/100℉ SHOWER SYSTEM】 -Bostingner thermostatic shower valve can fix the temperature at 38°/100℉ without having to re-adjust it everytime and also to prevent scald, smooth lines and classic shaping make up the Bostingner Rain Shower System, complements a modern or traditional design and boasts luxurious, spa-like features. The best choice for your family.
- 【1 UNIT WITH 3 FUNCTIONS】 -Solid brassed valve body and thermostatic valve cartridge helping to protect you from being scalded by sudden changes in hot or cold water pressure. Added check valve, which can effectively prevent valve noise and backflow. Full body rainfall shower system with Air-in technology, require up to 30% less water than conventional products – without any loss of comfort.
- 【OVERSIZED SHOWERHEAD & UPDATED 3 INCH BODY JETS】 -Ultra-thin, minimalist 16-inch oversized shower head, bring you spa-like shower experience, mix air and water to simulate the feeling of natural rainfall, enjoy the high flow shower space, and it also can accommodate two people to bathe at the same time. UPGRADED 3" LARGE SPA BODY JETS for a rejuvenating hydrotherapy experience.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION & LIFETIME WARRANTY】 - Detailed instructions and all Pieces are included in the package, your plumber can install this modern shower fixtures with body spray jets easily according to the instructions. UNIVERSAL 1/2" connectors compatible with all homes in the USA and Canada.
Should People Take a Bath vs. Shower?
As with all personal hygiene, it is your own personal preference that should determine if you take a bath or a shower.
If you’re looking to relax, ease daily fatigue and perhaps treat chronic pain, you should probably take a bath.
For more effective daily cleansing of the skin – and for additional health benefits – a shower may be a better option.
Showers can also give you an immune-system boost and prevent a range of ailments if you switch from hot to cold for the last few minutes of your daily routine.
When it comes to bathing, the most important thing is hygiene. In reality, both that bath and showers have pros and cons. Often it comes down to a matter of preference and time. As long as you keep things clean, whichever you choose, you are only doing good for your body.